One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, how sincere is our interest in those who suffer from war in the Middle East?”
Josh spoke thus:
Two knights were riding to a Crusade.
“See this scar?” one knight said to the other.
“That is an impressive scar,” the second knight said, “Did you get that in the Holy Land? Were you wounded in holy combat?”
“It was a plow,” the first knight said, “I was whipping a lazy boy who had done a sloppy job preparing a plow for furrowing. I slipped on a cow patty, whoosh! down I go. I tried to catch myself, but the only handhold was a nearby plow. I caught the plow, but kept sliding. The boy was lazy but the plow was sharp. You see here on my arm how sharp that plow was.”
“You’re lucky it was sharp,” the second knight said, “A blunt blade would have torn. A tear never heals cleanly.”
“It wasn’t as sharp as the whip I used against that boy,” the knight said, “He never healed cleanly.”
“But it wasn’t the boy’s fault, surely,” the second knight said.
“Which is why I didn’t kill him,” the first knight said, “And the lashing was good for him. There he is.” The first knight pointed back into his entourage.
“It’s good to get away from coy patties and plows, eh?” the second knight said, “Out in the air, away from the boredom. Away from the petty decisions.”
“The land is too frosty for plowing!” the first knight said in a mimicking voice, “My child has rickets! My wife is unfaithful!”
“Sure his wife was unfaithful!” the second knight said, “With a lord like you about!”
“What can I say?” the first knight said, “The wife was beautiful. And she wanted fresh fruit for the boy.”
“You are wicked!” the second knight said, “I’ve missed warring with you!”
“And how’s it with your estate?” the first knight asked.
“I’m here, aren’t I?” the second knight said.
“That bad, eh?” the first knight asked.
“Only the Holy Land will keep the creditors at bay,” the second knight said.
“Thank God for the Holy Land,” the first knight said.
“Thank God for holy wars,” the second knight said.
No comments:
Post a Comment