Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Parable of the Bookmaker Who Didn’t Take the Bets



One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, will prayers stop cruise missiles in Syria?”
Josh spoke thus:

A gambler approached a bookmaker.
“I want to bet the world will end,” the gambler said.
“You can’t be the world will end,” the bookmaker said.
“What’s the payout?” the gambler asked.
“There is no payout,” the bookmaker said, “You can’t make that bet.”
“Because the payout is too big?” the gambler asked.
“Because the payout is unpayable,” the bookmaker said, “Who’s going to pay off that bet?  And who’s going to receive it?  When the world ends there won’t be anyone around to pay off the bet or to receive it.”
“If there’s a colony on the moon, someone could pay it off,” the gambler said.
“There isn’t a colony on the moon,” the bookmaker said, “When there’s a colony on the moon, maybe someone will take that bet, but until then nobody will.”
“Then I’d like to make a bet on world peace,” the gambler said.
“You can’t make a bet on world peace,” the bookmaker said, “There’s no way to measure the outcome.”
“Do you take bets on anything?” the gambler asked.
“We take bets on lots of things,” the bookmaker said, “But not on the end of the world and world peace.”
“The Pope is holding a vigil,” the gambler said, “The Pope is praying for world peace.”
“The Pope is praying for a lot of things,” the bookmaker said, “That doesn’t mean we’re going to take bets on all of them.”
“You could make a lot of money taking bets on world peace,” the gambler said, “Every time the Pope prays for world peace and there’s no world peace, you win.”
“But nobody makes a bet on world peace,” the bookmaker said, “There’s no way to handicap the bet.”
“Ten to one?” the gambler asked, “A hundred to one?  Ten thousand to one?  I’ll take even odds.”
“I won’t take the bet,” the bookmaker said.
“You’re throwing money away,” the gambler said.
“I’m not taking a bet against the Pope,” the bookmaker said, “When I step up to Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates, I’m not telling him I took bets against the Pope.”
“I want to bet St. Peter won’t let you in,” the gambler said.
“I’ve already made my bets on that one,” the bookmaker said.

No comments:

Post a Comment