Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Parable of the Addict in the Book Store



One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, why do famous people’s compunctions become addictions when they get caught doing something they know they shouldn’t be doing?”
Josh spoke thus:

An addict picked a self-help book from a shelf.
“Will this help me with my addiction?” the addict asked a store clerk.
“I’m afraid I’m not a expert on the subject,” the store clerk told the addict, “I’ve only just started working here.”
“Shouldn’t you be selling me on the book?” the addict asked, “Shouldn’t you be telling me that this is the perfect book to help me with my addiction?”
“But what if it isn’t the perfect book to help you with your addiction?” the clerk asked, “What if the book next to it is the perfect book to help you with your addiction?”
“The book next to it is a book on breast feeding,” the addict said, “Do I look like I need a book on breast feeding?  Do I look like I need help with my breast feeding addiction?”
“What about the book on the other side?” the store clerk asked.
“The book on the other side is a book on Feng Shui,” the addict said.
“Are you addicted to Feng Shui?” the store clerk asked, “Feng Shui sounds like it would be quite a good thing to be addicted to.”
“I’m not addicted to Feng Shui,” the addict said, “Neither am I looking to become addicted to Feng Shui.”
“It might help,” the store clerk said, “At least it would probably be more helpful than a book on breast feeding.”
“I’ll give you that” the addict said, “At least you’re selling me something.”
“I’m just trying to be helpful,” the store clerk said, “Can I see the book you’re considering?”
The addict handed the book to the store clerk.
“This book isn’t about addiction,” the store clerk said.
“All books are about addiction,” the addict said, “All writers are addicted to what they’re writing, and all readers are addicted to what they’re reading.”
“It sounds to me,” the store clerk said, “Like your addiction is to reading.”
“So then what do you suggest?” the addict asked.
“I’d suggest the book on breast feeding,” the store clerk said, “Followed by the book on Feng Shui.  And I’d finish with the book in your hand.”
“Will that cure my addiction?” the addict asked.
“You don’t cure that addiction,” the store clerk said, “You stuff it to overloaded.”
“Like forcing a child to smoke a carton of cigarettes to stop them smoking?” the addict asked.
“Like giving a child air, so they can breathe,” the store clerk said.

No comments:

Post a Comment