Monday, May 27, 2013

The Parable of the Trading Generals



One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, what are your thoughts on Memorial Day?”
Josh spoke thus:

Two generals were trading soldiers.
“This one,” the first general said, “This one I have cherished.
“What’s so special about that one soldier?” the second general asked, is he a hero of some kind?”
“Oh, he’s been through the wars!” the first general said, “He fought in Normandy, he fought in Holland, he fought in Belgium and he fought in Germany.”
“Nobody fought in Normandy, Holland, Belgium and Germany,” the second general said.
“This man did,” the first general said, “What will you give me for him?”
“I have a regiment who fought throughout the Pacific,” the second general said, “These men were at Guadalcanal.  These men were at Iwo Jima.  These men liberated the Philippines.”
“There was no regiment did all that,” the first general said.
“If your man could liberate all of Europe, my division could save the Pacific,” the second general said.
“My man was Airborne,” the first general said, “Your division was Marines.  It’s apples and oranges.”
“They’re all warriors,” the second general said, “Apples to apples.”
“So would my hundred Germans be warriors?” the first general said.
“I’ll see your hundred Germans and raise you ten Russians,” the second general said.
“Who said I was trading?” the first general said.
“You’re always trading,” the second general said, “I’m always trading.  That’s what we do.  We trade.  We’re generals.”
“You talk like they mean nothing,” the first general said.
“I talk like they mean everything,” the second general said, “That’s why I trade so hard.”
“It is a hard trade,” the first general said.
“What will you give me for this captain?” the second general asked.
“Your captain is missing an arm,” the first general said, “That lowers his value.”
“What if I told you how he lost his arm?” the second general asked, “That might increase his worth.”
“How will that increase his worth?” the first general ask.
“Valor always increases worth,” the second general said.
“Tell me about his valor,” the first general said.
The second general took the captain down from his shelf.
“It was in Gettysburg, the third day of July,” the second general began.

No comments:

Post a Comment