One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, how long will women stand for the recent attacks on women’s rights in certain state governments?”
Josh spoke thus:
A young person was buying a burka.
“My spouse will wear this burka some day,” the young person said to the salesperson selling the burka.
“Are you engaged?” the salesperson asked.
“I’m not engaged, but I’m planning on marrying,” the young person said.
“Are you sure a burka will be appropriate for your spouse?” the salesperson asked.
“It will be important for the person I marry to be modest,” the young person said.
“That is a fine sentiment,” the salesperson said, “But I must ask you, if you are not engaged, how do you know the size of burka you will want?”
“I have the burka,” the young person said, “I will find a spouse to fit the burka.”
“If you don’t mind my saying,” the salesperson said, “Fitting into a burka is a strange qualification for a spouse.”
“It is one of many qualifications,” the young person said, “The first qualification will be obedience.”
“Obedience is a good trait in a spouse,” the salesperson said.
“Yes, and wearing the burka will be a sign of obedience,” the young person said, “The second qualification for my spouse will be modesty.”
“Again, modesty is a good trait in a spouse,” the salesperson said.
“Yes, and a modest spouse will wear a burka,” the young person said, “The third qualification for my spouse will be devotion to me and to God.”
“Devotion to you and to God are good traits in a spouse as well,” the salesperson said.
“Yes, and by wearing a burka, my spouse will show the world that I and God are who my spouse most values,” the young person said.
“All of these traits are important traits in a spouse,” the salesperson said, “But I am still puzzled. How do these traits--these admirable traits--ensure that the burka will fit your spouse?”
“I know the burka will fit my spouse by the fourth qualification I will require of my spouse,” the young person said, “You will notice that I chose a particular size of burka.”
“You did choose a particular size of burka,” the salesperson said, “You chose a very small burka.”
“My spouse must be small,” the young person said, “In this way I can ensure that my spouse will be obedient, modest and devoted to me. If my spouse is large, it might be I who must be obedient, modest and devoted.”
“Then you will be the one in the burka,” the salesperson said.
“I would need a burka to hide my shame,” the young person said.
“A small burka for a small spouse is a small price to pay to avoid shame,” the salesperson said.
“From your mouth to God’s ear,” the young person said, and the young person left the shop.
The salesperson whispered at the young person as the young person stepped out the door, “You are not worthy to wear a burka. A burka is to mark devotion, not cowardice.”
No comments:
Post a Comment