One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, what is it that makes political compromise so difficult these days?”
Josh spoke thus:
“I’m an all or nothing person,” a potential purchaser said to a motorcycle vendor.
“I can see that you are an all or nothing person,” the motorcycle vendor said, “And I can see that this is the perfect motorcycle for you.”
“It’s got more horsepower than I need,” said the potential purchaser.
“Which is why it’s the perfect motorcycle for you,” the motorcycle vendor said.
“Its wheels are so big that my toes can barely reach the ground when I’m in the saddle,” the potential purchaser said.
“Which is why it’s the perfect motorcycle for you,” the motorcycle vendor said.
“Its handlebars are so wide, my hands can only just reach the throttle, brake and clutch,” the potential purchaser said.
“Which is why it’s the perfect motorcycle for you,” the motorcycle vendor said.
“It’s so loud that my neighbors will be offended every time I start it, every time I ride it, every time I tune it in the driveway,” the potential purchaser said.
“Which is why it’s the perfect motorcycle for you,” the motorcycle vendor said.
“I’d lose control and injure myself riding it,” the potential purchaser said.
“Which is why it’s the perfect motorcycle for you,” the motorcycle vendor said.
“Maybe if it wasn’t so loud,” the potential purchaser said.
“Then it wouldn’t be loud enough,” the motorcycle vendor said.
“Maybe if its handlebars weren’t so wide,” the potential purchaser said.
“Then the handlebars wouldn’t be wide enough,” the motorcycle vendor said.
“Maybe if the wheels weren’t so tall,” the potential purchaser said, “If the saddle weren’t so high up.”
“Then the wheels wouldn’t be tall enough,” the motorcycle vendor said, “The saddle wouldn’t be high enough up.”
“Maybe if it had less horsepower,” the potential purchaser said.
“Then there would be too little power,” the motorcycle vendor said.
The potential purchaser hesitated.
“Maybe if you were taller,” the motorcycle vendor, “Maybe if your reach were broader. Maybe if you weren’t so afraid of your neighbors. Maybe if you weren’t so afraid of speed. Maybe if you weren’t so afraid of crashing. Maybe if you weren’t so afraid.”
“What are you suggesting?” the potential purchaser asked.
“What if you weren’t rider enough for this motorcycle?” the motorcycle vendor asked, “It’s all or nothing.”
“I’ll take it,” the purchaser said, “I’ll take it all.”
No comments:
Post a Comment