Monday, August 12, 2013

The Parable of the End of the Page



One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”How long can its opponents drag out the implementation of the Health Care Act?”
Josh spoke thus:

A child was asking for more time.
“Can I read just one more page?” the child asked.
“You can read one more page,” the child’s parent said.
“If I read one more page, I’ll almost be done with the chapter, can I read to the end of the chapter?” the child asked.
“You can read to the end of the chapter,” the parent said.
“If I finish the chapter, then I’ll almost be finished with the book,” the child said, “Can I finish the book?”
“You can’t finish the book,” the parent said, “You can finish the chapter.”
“You never let me finish the book,” the child said.
“I always let you finish the book,” the parent said, “Just not always at bedtime.”
“You’re not letting me finish the book this time,” the child said, “You said you always let me finish the book.”
“I always let you finish the book,” the parent said, “Just not at bedtime. It’s bedtime.  You can finish the book tomorrow.”
“I won’t be able to finish the book tomorrow,” the child said, “I’ve got soccer tomorrow.”
“Then you can finish the book day after tomorrow,” the parent said.
“I don’t want to finish the book,” the child said, “I don’t like the book.”
“Then you don’t need to finish the book tonight,” the parent said.
“I won’t finish the chapter, then,” the child said.
“Don’t finish the chapter, if you don’t want to finish the chapter,” the parent said.
“I won’t finish the page, then,” the child said.
“Don’t finish the page, if you don’t want to finish the page,” the parent said.
“Please can I finish the book?” the child asked.
“Put the book down and turn out the light,” the parent said, “It’s bedtime.”
“I’m going to grow up ignorant,” the child said, “And it’s your fault, because I won’t finish the book.  I won’t finish any book ever again.  And it’s your fault.”
“You’ll be ignorant, but you’ll be able to get up for school in the morning,” the parent said.
“I won’t read any books at school,” the child said, “I won’t read anything ever again.  And it’s your fault.”
“Turn out the light,” the parent said.
“Can I just read to the end of the page?” the child asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment