Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Parable of the Child’s Birthday Choice



One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, how can Egypt become a democracy when its democratically elected officials have to be approved by the Army?”
Josh spoke thus:

For a birthday present, a child was told by the child’s grandparent to pick a toy from a toy store shelf.  The shelf was a long shelf and contained a large selection of toys.
“I want a bike,” the child said.
The child’s grandparent pointed out that there were no bikes on the shelf.
“But I want a bike,” the child said.
The grandparent reminded the child that the child could pick any toy from the indicated shelf, but only a toy from the indicated shelf.  The child walked slowly up and down the toy store aisle, carefully considering all the toys on offer.
“I want a skateboard,” the child said.
The grandparent pointed out that there were no skateboards on the shelf.
“But I want a skateboard,” the child said.
The grandparent reminded the child that the child could only pick a toy from the indicated shelf.  Again the child paced up and down the toy store aisle.
“I want a drum set,” the child said.
The grandparent pointed out that there were no drum sets on the shelf.  The child paced up and down the aisle.
“I want a plane,” the child said, “I want an air rifle.  I want a PlayStation.  I want an iPad.  I want a car.  A real car.  I want a baseball bat.  I want a water gun.  I want a helicopter.  I want a moon rocket.  I want a rocket that goes to the moon.”
The grandparent told the child that the child was just being silly.  The grandparent told the child to pick a toy from the designated shelf, or the child would receive no present.
“But I don’t want any of those toys,” the child said.
The grandparent told the child that all the toys on the designated shelf were fine toys.
“But those are all girl toys,” the child said.
The grandparent pointed out to the child that the child was a girl.
“But I don’t want girl toys,” the child said.
The grandparent insisted the child choose a toy from the proper shelf.
The child sighed, walked to a different shelf, picked up a skateboard, carried the skateboard to the designated shelf and placed the skateboard on the designated shelf.
“I want that,” the child said, pointing at the skateboard.
The grandparent looked at the skateboard, looked at the shelf from which the skateboard had come, looked at the child.
“I couldn’t have chosen a better gift myself,” the grandparent said.  The grandparent picked up the skateboard and took it to the cashier.
“Have you ever seen a finer skateboard?” the grandparent asked the cashier, “I think not.”

No comments:

Post a Comment