Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Parable of the Calendars


One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, why does time pass so much more quickly as we age?”
Josh spoke thus:

A businessperson and the businessperson’s associate were looking at their smartphone calendars.
“What day is it?” the businessperson asked the businessperson’s associate.
“I have no idea,” the businessperson’s associate said, “I lost track of what day it was years ago.”
“Maybe I could do some math,” the businessperson said.
“It would have to be some good math,” the businessperson’s associate said, “What would your reference be?”
“What’s the reset value?” the businessperson asked.
“My beginning point is always three fiscal quarters ahead,” the businessperson’s associate said, “If I don’t plan three fiscal quarters ahead, I’m too late.”
“So what’s three fiscal quarters from now?” the businessperson asked.
The businessperson’s associate pushed a number of buttons and did a number of finger swipes and scrolls.
“September,” the businessperson’s associate said, “September 28.”
“Okay,” the businessperson said, “Working back from September 28...”  The businessperson pushed a number of buttons and did a number of finger swipes and scrolls, then said, “Good grief!  Where has the time gone?”
“I know!” the businessperson’s associate said, “Fourth quarter is almost done.”
“I hope Accounts knows what day it is,” the businessperson said.
“Accounts always knows what day it is,” the businessperson’s associate said, “If they didn’t, nobody’d get paid!”
“And we can’t have nobody getting paid!” the businessperson said.
“Amen to getting paid!” the businessperson’s associate said.
“And the holidays are gone by!” the businessperson said.
“Isn’t it curious how they take so long in coming, yet stay for such a short time?” the businessperson’s associate said.
“I started planning for the holidays in March,” the businessperson said.
“You have to these days,” the businessperson’s associate said, “The holidays come up on you so quickly!”
“All that anticipation,” the businessperson said, “And then gone so soon!”
“I hope you had happy holidays,” the businessperson’s associate said.
“I hope you did too,” the businessperson said, “And I hope I did, as well!”
“I hope we both did,” the businessperson’s associate said.
“Well if we didn’t, there’s always next year,” the businessperson said.
“I suppose there is,” the businessperson’s associate said, “Now what was it we were looking for?”
“Lunch,” the businessperson said, “I was wondering whether you wanted to pop out for a bite to eat.”
“Ah yes, lunch,” the businessperson’s associate said.  The businessperson’s associate pushed some buttons, swiped some screens and did some scrolling.
“Well?” the businessperson asked.
“Sorry,” the businessperson’s associate said, “Apparently I’m booked up through March.”
“Just thought I’d check,” the businessperson said, “Well, I’m off, I have a meeting in half an hour.”
“Enjoy your lunch,” the businessperson’s associate said.

“See you in April,” the businessperson said.

No comments:

Post a Comment