One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, what happens when fear of the past makes action for the future impossible?”
Josh spoke thus:
An insomniac and the insomniac’s spouse were lying in bed, staring at the ceiling.
“You’re keeping me awake,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“I could sleep if you’d stop telling me that I’m keeping you awake,” the insomniac said.
“How can I sleep when I know you’re unable to sleep?” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“It’s for your sake that I’m lying awake,” the insomniac said.
“Don’t do me any favors,” the insomniac’s spouse said, “Sleep.”
“You know I can’t sleep,” the insomniac said.
“You used to sleep like a log,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“As did you,” the insomniac said.
“You used to snore like a bear,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“You used to hold me close until I stopped,” the insomniac said.
“You stopped because you couldn’t breathe,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“I couldn’t breathe because you held me so tight,” the insomniac said.
“It shut you up,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“And we both slept,” the insomniac said.
“And we both slept,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
The insomniac and the insomniac’s spouse lay in bed, staring at the ceiling.
“There’s one way we could sleep,” the insomniac said.
“You promised you wouldn’t,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“You promised as well,” the insomniac said.
“I’ve kept my promise,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“And I’ve kept mine,” the insomniac said.
“And what do we have to show for it?” the insomniac’s spouse asked.
“We’ve kept jobs for two months,” the insomniac said.
“And we’ve not slept for two months,” the insomniac’s spouse said, “But that’s not what’s worst.”
“What’s worst?” the insomniac asked.
“You’re boring when you’re sober,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“You’re boring when you’re sober, as well,” the insomniac said.
“At least I don’t snore,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“I don’t snore either,” the insomniac said.
“That’s because you don’t sleep,” the insomniac’s spouse said.
“If you held me like when I snored,” the insomniac said, “Perhaps I’d sleep.”
“If you snored like when I held you,” the insomniac’s spouse said, “Perhaps we’d both sleep.”
The insomniac and the insomniac’s spouse lay in bed, staring at the ceiling.
No comments:
Post a Comment