Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Parable of the General and the Chief of Intelligence



One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, when a political group that relies on a media outlet deserts that media outlet, where do they get their news?”
Josh spoke thus:

A commanding general was sitting in his tent with his chief of intelligence.
“There is no news from the battlefield,” the commanding general said, “I need news from the battlefield.”
“There is no news from the battlefield,” the chief of intelligence told the general.
“How can there be no news from the battlefield?” the commanding general asked, “Haven’t you sent out any runners?”
“I have sent out a number of runners,” the chief of intelligence said.
“And not one has returned?” the commanding general asked.
“Three have returned,” the chief of intelligence said.
“Where are they?” the commanding general asked.
“They’re dead,” the chief of intelligence said, “You had them killed.”
“I?  When did I have them killed?” the commanding general asked.
“When they told you that our left flank was collapsing,” the chief of intelligence said.
“I remember those three,” the commanding general said, “They were all liars.”
“Liars or no, they’re dead,” the chief of intelligence said.
“But what of the other runners?” the general asked, “I don’t recall having any other runners killed.  Were they killed on the battlefield?”
“They have all run away,” the chief of intelligence said.
“Why did they run away?” the commanding general asked.
“So that you wouldn’t have them killed when they brought you bad news from the battlefield,” the chief of intelligence said.
“If they don’t lie, they have nothing to fear,” the commanding general said.
“If they tell you that our right flank is also collapsing, they will have something to fear,” the chief of intelligence said.
“Is our right flank collapsing?” the commanding general asked.
“Everything is collapsing,” the chief of intelligence said.
“You go, then,” the commanding general said, “Go and bring me news from the battlefield.
The chief of intelligence left the tent.  A short moment later, the chief of intelligence returned.
“What news?” the commanding general asked.
“If I tell you the news, you’ll have me killed,” the chief of intelligence said, “I just came back to tell you I’m leaving.”
“That’s desertion,” the commanding general said, “I’ll have you killed for desertion.”
“Okay, then here’s the news,” the chief of intelligence said, “We’ve lost the battle, and we’re surrounded.
“You’re lying,” the commanding general said, “I’ll have you executed.”
A voice from outside the tent said, “I think it is you who will be executed.”
“Who are you to tell me I’ll be executed?” the commanding officer asked.
The enemy commanding general entered the tent.  He spoke to the chief of intelligence.
“Thank you for all the information from your runners,” the enemy commanding general said to the chief of intelligence, “Your life will be spared.”

No comments:

Post a Comment