Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Parable of the Driver in the Snowstorm


One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, what is more dangerous in a snowstorm, the road or the drivers on the road?”
Josh spoke thus:

A driver was driving in a snow storm.
“You should just pull over,” the driver’s partner said, “You can’t see where you’re going.”
“I can see where I’m going,” the driver said.  “I can’t see very far, but I can see where I’m going.”
“You should just pull over,” the driver’s partner said, “It’s a blizzard out there.”
“I know it’s a blizzard,” the driver said, “I can see the blizzard.”
“You should just pull over,” the driver’s partner said, “What’s the visibility with all that blowing snow?”
“Whoa!” the driver said, “Somebody just passed me!  What’s your hurry buddy?  How fast is that guy going?”
“Don’t try and keep up,” the driver’s partner said, “Just pull over.”
“Whoa!” the driver said, “Somebody else just passed me!  On the right!”
“That’s crazy,” the driver’s partner said, “You should just pull over.”
“Whoa!” the driver said, “Somebody just passed me, and somebody passed him when he passed me!”
“What’s with those people?” the driver’s partner said, “Just pull over and let them go.”
“They’re just going too fast,” the driver said,  “There goes another!  Oh!  Look out, that one’s spinning!”
“Don’t hit him!” the driver’s partner said.
“I won’t hit him!” the driver said, “Unlike some people, I’m not driving too fast for the conditions!  Look out!  There goes someone into the ditch!  He tried to pass me on the right and he went into the ditch!  These people are crazy.”
“You should just pull over,” the driver’s partner said.
“I’m in the middle of a three lane highway!” the driver said, “I can’t just pull over.  Two cars just passed me on the right, and another on the left!”
“Why can’t people be safer?” the driver’s partner asked.
“Some people just don’t understand how dangerous driving in a snowstorm can be,” the driver said, “Well, I’ve got to hang up.  I can’t drive, talk on the phone and drink my coffee all at the same time.  Not in a snowstorm.  Whoa!  There goes another on my right!”

“Get home safe,” the driver’s partner said, “And don’t spill coffee on your pants.  You just had them dry cleaned.”

No comments:

Post a Comment