One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, does sending the Olympic torch into space signify a new world brotherhood, or is it just the Russians showing off?”
Josh spoke thus:
A Norseman’s son was staring at the horizon.
“What are you looking at?” the Norseman asked the Norseman’s son.
“I want to know what’s beyond the horizon,” the Norseman’s son told the Norseman.
“The sea is beyond the horizon,” the Norseman said.
“And what’s beyond the sea?” the Norseman’s son asked.
“More sea,” the Norseman said.
“But the sea has to end somewhere,” the Norseman’s son said.
The Norseman turned the Norseman’s son around and pointed to the opposite horizon.
“That’s behind me,” the Norseman’s son said, “That’s the other direction. And besides, it’s land.”
“Beyond the land is sea,” the Norseman said, “And that sea leads to here.” The Norseman turned the Norseman’s son back around.
“That’s stupid,” the Norseman’s son said, “If I go to the village, I don’t end up in the forest. And if I go to the forest, I’m not in the village.”
“Try it,” the Norseman said.
“If I try it and you’re wrong, I’ll die,” the Norseman’s son said.
“But if you try it and I’m right,” the Norseman said, “You’ll be famous. You’ll have gone where no one has gone before.”
“I would have gone to exactly where I am now,” the Norseman’s son said, “I’d be here, where I started. What’s the point in that?”
“I thought you wanted to know what was beyond the horizon,” the Norseman said.
“Not if what’s beyond the horizon is here,” the Norseman’s son said, “I already know what’s here.”
“Then you already know what’s beyond the horizon,” the Norseman said, “But you don’t know what lies between here and here. And what lies between here and here is the adventure.”
The Norseman’s son looked at the horizon again.
“I think the moon and stars are beyond the horizon,” the Norseman’s son said, “And if I sail over the horizon, I’ll fall into the moon.”
“Don’t be silly,” the Norseman said, “No one will ever go to the moon.”
No comments:
Post a Comment