Monday, November 25, 2013

The Parable of the Child Friends


One day while teaching, Josh was asked, ”Teacher, how do people keep track of who’s on whose side in world affairs?”
Josh spoke thus:

Two children were looking at a third child across a playground.
“Don’t play with that child,” the first child said to the second.
“Why can’t I play with that child?” the second child asked.
“Because you’re my friend,” the first child said.
“I can be your friend and play with that child,” the second child said.
“If you play with that child, then that child will be your friend,” the first child said.
“Why can’t I be that child’s friend and your friend too?” the second child asked.
“Because you’re my friend,” the first child said.
The third child approached the two children.
“I can’t play with you,” the first child said to the third child.
“Why not?” the third child asked.
“Because I’m playing with my friend,” the first child said.
“Why can’t we all play?” the third child asked.
“Because we’re two friends,” the first child said, “We’re not three friends.”
“I want to play,” the second child said.
“If you two play, then you’re friends,” the first child said.
“We can all be friends,” the second child said.
“But we two are friends,” the first child said.
“I want to be friends,” the third child said, “Let’s all three be friends.”
“I don’t want to all three be friends,” the first child said.
The second child and the third child crossed the playground together, leaving the first child behind.
“You’re not friends!” the first child said to the third child, “I’m friends.”
The second child and the third child invited the first child to join them.
“Only if you’re not friends,” the first child said to the third child, “I’ll come if I can be friends and you’re not.”
The second child was called home, leaving the third child and the first child.

“Do you want to be friends?” the first child asked the third child.

No comments:

Post a Comment